Passion to Fitness is part of the Ontario government’s province-wide shutdown, in effect until February 11th. Provincial orders remain in effect and we must all follow public health guidelines. As part of the COVID-19 Provincial Emergency and with the stay-at-home order we will not be running any in-gym classes until further notice.
We will be posting workouts on our social media shortly. We are offering virtual private classes. Email to book your spot.
Hoping Everyone stays safe & stays well!
SPIDER-MAN AGAINST THE WALL:
Spider-man against the wall is a way to work on your handstands. The handstand position is one of the most important positions in gymnastics. Gymnasts do handstands on the floor, on beam and on bars. Cartwheels, round-offs, back-handsprings and front-handsprings are all performed by passing through the handstand position. Spider-man against the wall is basically a handstand against the wall, but it’s a way to practice handstands with correct form. To do spider-man against the wall stand with your back against a wall in your house. Put your hands on the floor in front of you, and one at a time put your feet on the wall. Walk your hands closer to the wall as you walk your feet up the wall, until your stomach is touching the wall and you are in a handstand position. Keep your head neutral but look at your hands with your eyes. Hold this for as long as you can before coming down. While you are in the handstand concentrate on tightening up all your muscles and think about pulling your feet up to the ceiling. This is a great way to practice good form because the wall forces your body to be absolutely straight.
Practicing sprints are a great way to improve your Vault skills, and you can practice running fast anywhere. Great vaults are quick and powerful, so the faster your run–the more power you will have during your vault.
Working on your splits is a way to improve your flexibility at home. The split shape shows up frequently in gymnastics; the split shape is seen in leaps and jumps. The better you can do splits on the ground, the better you can do them in the air.
Another great exercise for improving your gymnastics skills at home is pull-ups. You can practice your pull-ups at home by installing a pull-up bar in one of your doorways.
Practicing your scales at home will help you improve your balance, flexibility and strength which are all crucial for gymnastics. If you aren’t sure what a scale is, stand on one leg and lift the other leg directly in front of you for a front scale or directly behind you for a back scale. Try to stand as long as you can without losing your balance.
Improve your jumps by practicing straight jumps at home. Keep your body as tight as possible and jump as high as you can while maintaining your body position.
Jumps To Practice: Straight, Tuck, Straddle, Pike, Split, Wolf, Half Turn, Full Turn
Gymnasts are required to do leaps on both beam and floor in their routines. Practice makes perfect so practice your leaps at home. Concentrate on keeping your legs straight and coming as high off the ground as you can. Also make sure the angle you make with your legs is even on both sides.
Turns are requirements in both floor and beam routines, just like leaps. You can practice your turns at home on the carpet or on the kitchen floor wearing socks.
Any conditioning exercises that make your muscles stronger will help you improve
your gymnastics. Gymnastics is one of the few sports that uses most of the muscles in your body. Push-ups, Sit-ups, calf-raises are all great exercises to increase your muscles strength.
If you have a gymnastics routine, you can practice it at home without the tumbling skills. This is called a “dance-through”, when you do the routine practicing just the dance elements. The more you practice your routine, the less likely you are to forget it at a meet. So practice, practice, practice at home!
I hope these exercises help you improve your gymnastics at home.
We hope that you are as excited as we are about opening the gym for group lessons with enhanced health and safety precautions due to Covid-19 the week of September 14th, 2020!
- Social distancing of all coaches and athletes
- Mandatory masks for all coaches (masks are optional for athletes as per City of Hamilton By-Law 20-155, as we are a private facility and only registered athletes and coaches are allowed entry)
- Spotting optional of athletes
- Reduced class sizes to ensure physical distancing of both athletes and coaches
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitary procedures (both before and after all classes and at the end of each day)
- Notices around the gym regarding proper hand washing and respiratory etiquette
- No entry notices for all families that have come in contact with covid-19, have travelled in the past 14 days or have any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Enhanced entry and exit procedures for all athletes to ensure cleanliness and safety of everyone entering the gym
- Our viewing and waiting room is closed until further notice - with the exception of families coming in for private lessons when they are the only family in the gym. ( In this case only one adult over the age of 18 is permitted with each athlete which will be required to wear a mask)
- Athlete's and staff are asked to stay home if they are sick or experiencing symptoms of covid-19, a digital screening form will need to be filled out 24 hours prior to athlete's entering the gym which will be sent to each parent via email.
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of your class
- Make sure you have filled out the screening questionnaire pertaining to Covid-19 the same day of your class:
We are mindful that everyone has different levels of comfort regarding returning to the gym. We will continue to offer online classes that you can purchase month to month bases classes for those who may not be ready to come back to the gym right away and offer Private classes as well online or inside the gym. We had a great successes with kids achieving their skills by virtual training.
Please follow us on Instagram and Facebook for the latest news on our online classes, Sept classes and camps. We have been overwhelmed by all the wonderful supportive messages from our members. We miss you all. We wish everyone health and happiness and look forward to seeing you back at the gym.
September Sign Up
Sign up for the next season 2020-2021 NOW OPEN!
Don’t forget to re-register because spaces are Limited
Sign Up for Homeschool Gymnastics for September NOW OPEN
Sign Up for Virtual Training And Private Classes Now Open